TimetoKill.net

Just servers. No drama. Plenty of llamas.

TtK is a community driven group of gamers and servers. We are not a clan; just gamers looking to have fun and bring others together.

Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HnyBear

Lag issues in GG GM server

Hello I've been playing in your servers for awhile now and have noticed the GG:DM server is having issues keeping up with more than 20+ people. I love your GG:DM server and have a great time until it fills up. Here are the things I've noticed. I have been running servers since back in 98 when CS first went beta. I hope some of this info will help.

1. The server side tick rate fluctuated too much. That's the first sign that the box it's on may be over loaded or not fast enough to run a server of this type. The SV Tickrate should never drop below 127.

2. When the server hit 20-22+ players especially on smaller maps you get people teleporting around and kills I've noticed can take up to 3 seconds to register. You also will see a 5 to 10ms jump in latency which shouldn't happen.

Because of these two things I notice most people come in, play a map or two then leave. There are a few things that  can be done to help the issue but I'm sure once your server admin checks it out, they'll be able to fix it without a problem.

Hope any of this info is helpful. Thank you for your time. :)

Can you set net_graph 1 and take a screenshot of when this happens?

Can you also put your console output for rate, cl_cmdrate, and cl_updaterate?

I can guarantee you the box is seriously underloaded and never have a var of >2.0. But how long is "for a while now"?

I've adjusted to several other setting with no change. I've also had other buddies join the server to see if it's just me and they see the same thing. I've seen the var go as high as 3.9 but normally it bounces around 0.3 to 2.9 I was only able to get it in the SS at 1.3 as it changes so rapidly it's hard to catch. Here are my rates. This was with only 18 people in the server on a medium sized map.

cmdrate 128
updaterate 128
interp 0.015625
interp_ratio 1
rate 128000

2013_07_11_00003.jpg

Sorry I forgot your other question. I've noticed this issue in one way or another since I started playing in your server. Here's a SS from a small map we were just on. Again hard to catch the var up high it was capping a 3.9 but notice the choke is high. I checked my routing to the server and my connection to and from is clean. Choke is typically caused by the server not being able to send the requested packets fast enough. The server is getting my packets but can't answer me fast enough. You can also see the increase in ping/latency I stated earlier.

2013_07_11_00006.jpg

Thanks, I have noticed it drop to 3.9 recently as well but your first picture doesn't make sense to me (I'm not saying you're lying) but is the tick is 128 the sv is 107.8 and var is only 1.3 that would mean the server tickrate is set to 107.8 +/- 1.3 which is obviously not the game. Or the var should read 20.2 in which case it would be red.

Sorry I forgot your other question. I've noticed this issue in one way or another since I started playing in your server. Here's a SS from a small map we were just on. Again hard to catch the var up high it was capping a 3.9 but notice the choke is high. I checked my routing to the server and my connection to and from is clean. Choke is typically caused by the server not being able to send the requested packets fast enough. The server is getting my packets but can't answer me fast enough. You can also see the increase in ping/latency I stated earlier.

2013_07_11_00006.jpg

Actually this is entirely wrong. Choke is purely a metric of client side not being able to communicate with server side fast enough.

The problem here is you are getting less than 128 FPS. You client can only push packets as fast as the FPS you're getting. So you're pushing 100 when the server is asking for 128. Thankfully things like lag compensation exist client side and server side to not make your gameplay go to shit due to a little choke here and there. The real problem is when people see consistent choke.

Thanks for pointing this out though - I have been considering changing the Linux kernel on the host for more real time processing lately. I might expedite that and take a look to see if there is anything else we can do.

Thanks, I have noticed it drop to 3.9 recently as well but your first picture doesn't make sense to me (I'm not saying you're lying) but is the tick is 128 the sv is 107.8 and var is only 1.3 that would mean the server tickrate is set to 107.8 +/- 1.3 which is obviously not the game. Or the var should read 20.2 in which case it would be red.

Hey I don't get it either but I gave up on trying to decipher the sorry ass netcode they use a long time ago. It's also frustrating with how one minute linux is best for running dedicated then the next it's windows. I had my best luck with win 2008 but switching your OS could be overkill. All I know for certain is the more the server fills the more awkward things get. I play in several other 32 man servers with 128 tick and all my rates stay the same. I never have any issues. Maybe that kernel needs a little TLC or you can try my method, beat it with a hammer til it works or you have to buy a new one. LOL

I play over on the DoGz GG DM servers too and they run a linux distro at 128 tick. Even with 32 players on a tiny map the tick rate never drops below 128 and it never lags. Not sure what all they're running though hardware wise. Between you n me though I prefer the TtK servers ;)

We have windows hosts too but they are worse. Yeah for that very reason we have it setup so we can hop between Linux and Windows hosts as best necessary. We start GO out on Windows but it royally had issues leaking memory and not closing files. See here for obnoxious details - http://64bitvps.com/csgo/ticket/srcds-memory-consumption-increases-every-map-change-and-eventually-affects-server-fps/ . Some Windows server owners are telling me they are still having that...

I did notice it a little choppy when I hopped in this evening. I'll keep this thread updated with the relevant information. 

Ah the ugly little memory leak is back? That sucks. I use to auto restart my servers every morning at the same time.  It'd warn people about the restart then restart all the servers. I was running 10 25 man servers. Most were CS:Go some Source and others were random like L4D2. My favorite was deathrun.

Thank you for keeping me and anyone else interested in what's going on up to date. I appreciate your efforts.

Ah the ugly little memory leak is back? That sucks. I use to auto restart my servers every morning at the same time.  It'd warn people about the restart then restart all the servers. I was running 10 25 man servers. Most were CS:Go some Source and others were random like L4D2. My favorite was deathrun.

Thank you for keeping me and anyone else interested in what's going on up to date. I appreciate your efforts.

Yeah we have it restart as soon as the playercount hits 0 but the Windows bug was much faster than once a day though. We were capping out every 4 hours :/

Since the last post I recreated the OS build the GO servers are onto be even more barebones than before and have the GO GunGame server being set with a separate higher priority. From what I've seen those changes have helped keeping the server FPS tighter to 128FPS.

I did a bunch of testing with SRCDS on high performing machines and all of them show the same behavior we have on the GO servers with sv. Either those few servers out there displaying a stable sv are doing something right or something wrong. I sent TigerOx, the server manager of DoGz, a message to see if he'd be willing to share his hardware/OS information.

Whatever it is, it's not a hardware cap or network cap because we have plenty of room there and there are other games' servers on the same box holding stable fps. 

Okkkkkaaayyyy. 

This is resolved. As suspected it was not a hardware or network limitation nor even a OS/kernel limitation. The limitation is due to a locked/developer only setting in CS:GO that basically says if you're meeting the desired tickrate, go ahead and take a rest which is why we were seeing the sv variance because it would see it's at 128+, let is sleep, realize it's not hitting 128 fps, wake up and spike. All faster than before you can think of blinking an eye. This was really annoying because I tested on a lot of high performance machines with the same behavior.

You'll probably notice the FPS on this graph stable out over night: http://stats.timetokill.net/overview/1

It's implemented on the gungame server immediately and we'll be implementing it on the other GO servers a little later. 

Thanks again for bringing this up. I noticed it but never got enough motivation to thoroughly investigate it.